Recent comments

• Watchout Gentoo Devs... here I come   12 years 24 weeks ago

Not for Mazda Corp.

• Why Science != Science   12 years 24 weeks ago

burn!

• Musical Websites   12 years 24 weeks ago

Insanely funny, yet too bad cause that's one of my favorite tracks dude!

• Why Science != Science   12 years 24 weeks ago

Typical Code Monkey:
    Instead of writing a library, Monkey goes to apache or sf and finds a perfectly good library to use. Code Monkey writes a sweet app for KickAssedKompany in half the time as Type2 and gets paid 100 G's for his entrepreneurial ideas.

Typical Type2:
    Writes a sweet peice of software, designing his own libraries along the way. Takes awesome software to KickAssedKompany who tell him they got a code monkey to write the same thing 10 years ago. Type2 goes home to hang out with his cat...

• New Laptop... Finally!   12 years 24 weeks ago

> Lapitupfuzzball

Nice. consider it lapped up.

• Watchout Gentoo Devs... here I come   12 years 24 weeks ago

uh, dude... aren't you already an official miata driver?

• New Laptop... Finally!   12 years 24 weeks ago

Lapitupfuzzball

• Watchout Gentoo Devs... here I come   12 years 24 weeks ago

Congrats Bizoitch!
    Hopefully Mazda will ask me to be an official miata driver soon!

• New Laptop... Finally!   12 years 24 weeks ago

>Did you have to pay the Windows tax?

Yes, and **cough**Bullshit**cough**.

>Can you get a refund?

No. You see, Dell's excuse is that they have to "run three stages of tests" and I guess these "tests" can only be run on windows?? And also, if my computer fucks up, I'll have to re-install windows before they're willing to provide any support. Regardless if the machine's on fire, they need windows installed.

> Personally I would have went with a Geforce rather than a Radeon.

I think if I had had a choice I may have as well. However, the Radeon is doing good so far and I'm quite happy with it.

• Why Science != Science   12 years 24 weeks ago

>> The second type use the scientific process to choose the best algorithm.

Oh really, let me guess, you're the second type and you've also never connected a web page to a database. Well then, oh so mighty "second type", what is that "scientific process" you use to choose the best algorithm?

There isn't one. You use reason to determine which is the best one to use. You don't do experiments to determine the best one. You simply already know what algorithm can do what and you pick the best one for the job.

Oh, and by the way, of the "first type" and "second type" there are an equal percentage who do the following:

>> They try to make the interface extensible and less error-prone. They use a profiler to determine the performance characteristics of their implementation. They document and enforce pre and post conditions. They analyze exception safety. They use design patterns. They have their peers review their code.

And an equal percentage who don't.

• New Laptop... Finally!   12 years 24 weeks ago

Did you have to pay the Windows tax? Can you get a refund?

Personally I would have went with a Geforce rather than a Radeon. Nvidia expends more effort on providing drivers for Linux and FreeBSD. Ati is getting better. And hey, they're Canadian. If that's worth anything.

• Why Science != Science   12 years 25 weeks ago

>> Well let me tell you, there's absolutely nothing >> scientific about writing a piece of code.

There are two types of developers out there. Ones that use libraries to connect web pages to databases. And ones that write the libraries.

The first type are code monkeys.

The second type use the scientific process to choose the best algorithm. They try to make the interface extensible and less error-prone. They use a profiler to determine the performance characteristics of their implementation. They document and enforce pre and post conditions. They analyze exception safety. They use design patterns. They have their peers review their code.

A million trade school monkeys on a million keyboards can impliment Slashdot. But they won't be able to implement Posix, the STL, an OpenGL driver, Boost, the Apache runtime, the X protocol, etc.