Recent comments

• Enabling multiple themes in Aegir install profiles   3 years 21 weeks ago

Did you consider trying to hook into the clone (http://community.aegirproject.org/node/24) feature in Aegir to create new sites from a "template" site. I am considering this route to avoid all the install profile nightmare. Just curious on your thoughts of that after this experience.

• An overview of site building in Wedful (Drupal install profiles, Aegir, and features)   3 years 22 weeks ago

Hi.

When we create a site from aegir, the user who creates the site is made the super admin of the site. I do not want that as I don't want him to have all the permissions.

Could you please explain how to achieve that.

Regards,
    Aanchal

• Creating Custom Triggers in Drupal   3 years 25 weeks ago

Thanks, I found this useful when creating a Drupal 6 Trigger for first user login. Code here: http://www.boiledocean.com/content/trigger-first-user-login

• A bit of an announcement   3 years 27 weeks ago

Congratulations on getting hitched Sam and Scott! Awesome wedding photos - will be one to remember for sure.

• Creating Custom Triggers in Drupal   3 years 29 weeks ago

The ambiguous Script module name, script content type name & script as a general keyword are quite confusing in this example. Nevertheless I gained some useful insight, thanks for the post.

• Aerolineas Argentina - Only like the worst airline EVER!   3 years 30 weeks ago

I thought Aerolineas Argentina serves perfect service but it's kind of scary to sit in old planes since we never know what technical problems it may come up with. I have benefited a lot from this article since I was not too knowledgeable about Aerolineas Argentina.

Totally agree - Aerolineas Argentina is terrible. What a disgrace they are to Argentina. Their planes are old, safety is not a priority, and they are notorious for losing luggage. Their staff are rude and customer service is a foreign concept to them. Dealt with a joker in Ushuaia who said he'd help us, then he disappeared for over 1/2 an hour and never did return--probably went home! Phoned the airline to complain about the treatment we received and the woman hung up the phone! We will never fly with them again. LAN is far superior.

• An overview of site building in Wedful (Drupal install profiles, Aegir, and features)   3 years 31 weeks ago

Hey Adelle! At this point we aren't sharing the install profile anywhere for a few reasons. One of the biggest is simply a lack of time to put it together into an organized fashion. Getting the product working well with all of the most important features has taken the most time. Fortunately we're able to give back a lot to the community in terms of patches and new contrib modules at the same time.

The install profile by itself wouldn't actually be useful to anyone. It's tightly coupled with aegir and a few custom pages there as well as some custom features.

At some point I would like to get a simplified wedful style install profile that I can give back to the community, probably bundled with a couple of features. We're a long way from that right now though unfortunately, but since one of the goals of the project is to have as little custom code as possible, this would be a step in the right direction.

• Quite a year... here's to another!   3 years 34 weeks ago

<3 Aww Scoddy <3

What a ridiculously full year we've had. I'm looking forward to spending another one with you.

• An overview of site building in Wedful (Drupal install profiles, Aegir, and features)   3 years 34 weeks ago

Sean, this is wonderful...wedful.com looks great! I can't wait to read your more detailed post, as I'm working on a wedding site this year. Are you sharing the installation profile anywhere on d.o?

• Adding a simple twitter feed to your Drupal site   3 years 38 weeks ago

I agree with Broda...Twitter Pull is quick and simple but I like the flexibility of pulling tweets in as content so that I can work with them using Views.

Problem is, I can't seem to get the aggregator to pull the content I want. What's the proper URL form to pull the tweets for a specific user...like say me (@SummittDweller)?

• Aerolineas Argentina - Only like the worst airline EVER!   3 years 44 weeks ago

Wow... Airlines
    I admire the work you have posted...really creative and braving
    Thanks for sharing this type of post.

• Aerolineas Argentina - Only like the worst airline EVER!   3 years 47 weeks ago

Wow, I can imagine how you did it. But, I appreciate for your brave. nice post you have written and great information. keep posting.Donnay Homes

• Trust   3 years 48 weeks ago

Good post about values, Scott. I get past the dilemma of giving money and what it may be used for, by sharing food I have or by buying the panhandler some, instead. Often if I'm munching on a bag of chips or a snack, I'll offer to share it with a homeless person, before they even ask for anything. So far, everyone has genuinely appreciated it and hasn't in turn asked for money.
    Your sentiments about trust also applies to trusting people on any level, especially emotionally in any way kind of relationship, whether with strangers or partners.

• Road trip to Bantry Bay Farm - Day 11!   3 years 48 weeks ago

Sooo wish I could have come along for the ride! Hope the motorhome makes it all the way.

• Creating Custom Triggers in Drupal   3 years 50 weeks ago

The script CCK type is nothing special, all it needs to have is a title and body, no extra fields necessary (identical to page or story types).

• Creating Custom Triggers in Drupal   3 years 50 weeks ago

can you give a link to this CCK type?

• Drupalcon is dead. Long live Drupalcon?   3 years 51 weeks ago

Many of the local European associations and enthusiastic contributors are working on more international events in Europe, watch groups.drupal.org and Drupal Planet for more information.

• Drupalcon is dead. Long live Drupalcon?   3 years 51 weeks ago

My first "DrupalCon" experience was in Vancouver 2006 at the Open Source CMS Summit. It was magical. It was inspiring. I got up at the end and jumped up and down in front of everyone to talk about all the great things I wanted to do for the community. That conference had a total of about 200 people, with at least 1/4 of them from other projects.

In truth, the two "main" conferences are a whole new animal. It's not just the size, but also the content. In the early days you had much less people presenting finished work (or instructing newcomers) and a lot more of people talking about what they were thinking about doing for Core, etc.

The good news is that the original feeling of the camp is alive and well at a number of Drupal Camps around the country. They're regional, so they don't necessarily draw all the traditional "Drupal Rockstars," but my experience going around to different camps last year was really amazingly positive.

Also, for anyone who misses the "let's get together and work on Drupal" perspective, you should definitely attend the Core Developer Summit before each of the conferences. That was honestly my favorite thing about SF, and my biggest regret of CPH was missing it there.

I do think there's room for a "national" or even "international" Drupal Camp, but don't wait on the Association to organize it! ;)

• Drupalcon is dead. Long live Drupalcon?   3 years 51 weeks ago

IIRC the closing session has generally been a clap-fest for the people who made the conference happen. Recognition is given to all the volunteers, and also to the sponsors. I thought it was actually nice to have someone who was an experienced public speaker MC the whole thing, and I thought the talk-show format was meant in jest/humor.

• Drupalcon is dead. Long live Drupalcon?   3 years 51 weeks ago

What I tried at track chair for the coders track in CPH was to press speakers hard to abide by the track description. We moved sessions where coding was not the primary focus to other tracks. Many sessions which were submitted in coding were vague and needed discussion with the submitter. Some turned out to be actual site building sessions with one or two slides of explaining the glue code they written. Well, that is not for the coder track. I think/hope we did a good job in identifying and moving sessions as needed.

This does not cover all the use cases obviously. Every track will have beginner and advanced sessions alike and identifying those properly in advance would indeed be useful.

• Drupalcon is dead. Long live Drupalcon?   3 years 51 weeks ago

We've seen the same issue as well with not really knowing the level or intended audience of a session going in. As a presenter I see it from the other side as well. :-) It's a problem we do want to try and address better for Chicago but haven't decided yet how that will work. Suggestions welcome!

• Drupalcon is dead. Long live Drupalcon?   3 years 51 weeks ago

I guess there's some confusion about what "reaching out" means as far as presenters go.

It's pretty much a given that if they attend, Eaton, Webchick, Gabor, me, Earl, and others of that ilk will present. Or rather, if they submit a session proposal they'll get picked up for something. There's really not much competition there; it's just a question of what they present. That means people will vote for those sessions (OMG I want to see what kind of lolcats Eaton does this time, etc.) and not pay much attention to new and lesser known presenters or topics.

By saying up front "OK, we know that webchick is going to present something on Drupal 7, let's just schedule that and be done with it" and "OK, we know we want to have an intro-to-Views session, who is good at that", that means there's less "heavy hitter" competition when we get to voting. That way newer presenters are not competing with "Developing for Views, by Larry Garfield" for session slots. That should, at least this is the intent, make it easier for newer presenters or unexpected ideas to get attention; by setting aside slots for the "rockstar presenters" we are also, in effect, setting aside slots for newer presenters or more radical ideas.

As for Chicago, the hotel rate we've managed to get is a substantial discount off of the normal price. If it's still too much for you, get roommates. The rooms are large enough. You're not going to want to miss the fun because you couldn't grab a taxi. :-)

• Drupalcon is dead. Long live Drupalcon?   3 years 51 weeks ago

@JohnAlbin: That sounds promising. Another thing that would be really helpful though would be some way to screen the presentations. If we don't know the presenter (or his/her track record), then we can only vote according to whether the topic sounds interesting. Unfortunately, some presenters pick interesting topics but then give a half-baked presentation. Perhaps after voting is completed, presenters should privately give their presentation to the selection committee who could then assure than the presentation will be up to par?

Another problem I had sometimes at DrupalCon SF was that I found it hard to predict, based on session title and short description, what a session's "character" was going to be like. Would it provide lots of nuts and bolts solutions? Would it be give a more philosophical overview? Would there be much Q&A? Within tracks (developing, theming, designing, business, etc.) there could be a more standardized labeling system for each presentation (intro, int, adv and/or tutorial, overview, where are we headed?, town hall mtg, etc.

Finally, the schedule has usually placed one session from each track at the same time. This assumes that people primarily stick with one track or another. But it always looks like people jump from one to the other a lot. I think instead we should have one room for newbies, one for intermediate, and one for advanced, or something like that. Then one could hit all the in-depth adv sessions, instead of having to choose between 3 great sessions one hour and then being stuck the next hour with all (or no) sessions appropriate to one's level.

• Drupalcon is dead. Long live Drupalcon?   3 years 51 weeks ago

“DC Chicago will select a set of more "well known" speakers prior to opening up the session proposals and voting to the public. … I see this ultimately heading down the road of having the conference organizers select all the speakers, and possibly even moving to the paid speaker and expensive conference price tag model.”

Actually, its just the opposite. The biggest problem with voting during past Drupalcons has been that people usually only vote on a handful of sessions and often for the well-known names; other people’s sessions literally don’t get any votes. So we see multiple sessions by the same person.

The idea for Chicago is to get the “big names that everyone votes for anyway” up on the schedule first, so that they are basically “out of the running” for the sessions that everyone will be voting on. With the big names gone, hopefully, the rest of the sessions will get voted on based on their content rather then personality. A diverse selection of presenters has always been one of my goals as a track chair.