Recent comments

• 6 tips for auditing Drupal contrib modules   3 years 38 weeks ago

Thanks for the comments!

Who the maintainer is is definitely very important, but not something that's overly useful for people who aren't active in the Drupal community. Also, quite often even good maintainers will give focus to some of their modules but leave others to gather dust. So it's not reliable all the time.

• 6 tips for auditing Drupal contrib modules   3 years 38 weeks ago
    ...

I'm not a coder, so peeking at the code doesn't do anything for me.

If it's something 'light' that I can do in my theme's template.php, I'll do that.

I do look at the maintainers of the project - if the maintainer is relatively new, with few contributions, I may just pass on it.

But as Sun commented, the maintainer is a big factor. (Of course, if you don't give new contributors that chance, you may not see what they're capable of.)

• Hooking into Drush and Aegir   3 years 39 weeks ago

Cool! I think I could use that s3 code myself :)

• Creating nodes in Drupal install profiles   3 years 39 weeks ago

Thanks Steven that's a good call. I haven't used node_export myself but it seems like a good way to go about this. I can't imagine it would be too hard to get it to run an import in an install profile either.

• Hooking into Drush and Aegir   3 years 39 weeks ago

Many, many thanks for this, we just added mirroring backups to s3 with the following code in a cm_functions.drush.inc file:

function drush_cm_functions_post_provision_backup($url = NULL) {
    $backup_file = drush_get_option('backup_file');
    // Make sure a backup happened:
    if (is_file($backup_file)) {

$parts[] = "$year-$month";
    $parts[] = $day;
    $parts[] = $filename;

$command = 's3cmd put %s s3://%s';

$result = provision_shell_exec($command, $backup_file, implode('/', $parts));

if (!$result && !drush_get_option('force', false)) {
    drush_set_error('PROVISION_BACKUP_FAILED', dt("Could not backup the file to S3"));
    }

}
    else {
    drush_log(dt("Could not backup the file to S3 because I couldn't find: !backup_file", array('!backup_file' => $backup_file)), 'backup');
    }

}

• Creating nodes in Drupal install profiles   3 years 39 weeks ago

The node export module (http://drupal.org/project/node_export) and install profile API can work well together to export nodes, it does CCK taxonomy etc too. Mostly, it just makes exporting a lot easier.

• 6 tips for auditing Drupal contrib modules   3 years 39 weeks ago

My über-factor is missing:

Tell me author(s) and/or maintainer(s) of a project, and I tell you what to expect.

Nice theme! :)

• Enabling multiple themes in Aegir install profiles   3 years 41 weeks ago

I guess I think that you SHOULD be able to enable more than one theme in your install profile -- hence, bug. If it's fixed in D7, great.

• Enabling multiple themes in Aegir install profiles   3 years 41 weeks ago

I don't believe this is a bug, but actually a feature ;). I also don't think this is an issue in D7. I guess in an ideal world system_theme_data() would have a reset parameter.

There are some related issues I found with this search.

• Enabling multiple themes in Aegir install profiles   3 years 41 weeks ago

This is obviously a bug in core. Can you file an item in the issue queue at least as a placeholder and link to it from this post?

• Static variables and Drupal install profiles   3 years 43 weeks ago

hook_update suffers a similar issue but in two ways.

Update is run in a batch (as I though install was) and if you statically cache something and the batch iterates on (eg it took a long time and had to "tick" to update the screen) then it's essentially a new request and I had a LOT of trouble with static variables getting reset when I didn't expect them to.

The other issue I had was basically the same as above - a function which statically cached with no way of overriding. My solution (during update) was to test if that function returned an expected value, if not, variable_set a semaphore and fail that update. This would cause me to have to run update.php twice, but the second time the function's static cache would be cleared and would return the expected results (and thus the sempahore could be reset).

• Static variables and Drupal install profiles   3 years 43 weeks ago

Or should that be an anti-pattern.

Copying a function and then undoing the parts that are going to fuck you is nearly the only way to accomplish some things.

It can sometimes get out of hand though, if one of the functions you need to call makes use of this function waaaay down the tree, and you end up having to micro-fork all the functions down. (see anything relating to themes).

• A new blog RSS feed   3 years 43 weeks ago

Sweet! You rock :)

• A new blog RSS feed   3 years 43 weeks ago

It is added now ...

• A new blog RSS feed   3 years 43 weeks ago

Thanks Khalid :) I actually do have a planet tag. Just waiting for someone to have time to look at this request http://drupal.org/node/826198

• A new blog RSS feed   3 years 43 weeks ago

Why not have a tag specially for the Drupal Planet? Seems a lot of posts would be interesting to many Drupal developers.

Do it!

• Adding a simple twitter feed to your Drupal site   3 years 44 weeks ago

whoops :) bunk permissions on the upload viewing. Yeah, I thought about doing this as a feature with a bit more options. And I don't think it would take a much work to make the aggregator module exportable either, not a lot of settings there (but that would be for another day). In the end pretty much all the work was in the view, so it seemed to be simplest just to post that.

• Adding a simple twitter feed to your Drupal site   3 years 44 weeks ago

No attachment? Oh, and also, turning this into a Feature instead and sticking it on Github would be cool. Although, not sure if the aggregator module is exportable (I don't think it is).

• Adding a simple twitter feed to your Drupal site   3 years 44 weeks ago

Thanks Boris, I hadn't seen that one. I also updated your link with the _ instead of the -

• Adding a simple twitter feed to your Drupal site   3 years 44 weeks ago

There is also http://drupal.org/project/twitter_pull, which is mainly convenience functions in PHP.

• My favorite cape town wineries   3 years 45 weeks ago

When I've looked I've not at all been impressed with the selection of South African wines in Canada. I've even found that some of the SA wines in BC you can buy don't even exist in South Africa, which is pretty odd (export only I guess). I think BC has a pretty decent selection of Australian and South American wines though, yeah.

South Africa /does/ have their own port actually. It's referred to as Cape Port (I think the term Port can only properly refer to fortified wines from Portugal). The port here is IMHO as good as any I've had too. Though I've never had a really expensive port before either.

• My favorite cape town wineries   3 years 46 weeks ago

I love South African viognier! Though the selection of SA reds in BC is probably fine, it has to compete with reds priced slightly cheaper from South America--though in BC terms "slightly cheaper" means $14 instead of $15. South Africa also distills brandy too. I have a cheap bottle that's not very good on its own (from Paarl), but they probably make much nicer stuff that could stand to be sipped. How about port? Does South Africa have their own? Have you tried any? Cheers!

• My favorite cape town wineries   3 years 46 weeks ago

we can hardly wait too!!

• My favorite cape town wineries   3 years 46 weeks ago

It looks gorgeous there - I can hardly wait to come and visit you.

• A review of my Netfone VoIP service   3 years 48 weeks ago

I have been with VoiceNetwork.ca for 3 years almost and I love the service they provide. The support is fast, I can download all my calls into excel. And they have a huge selection of Canadian and USA DID numbers.

They have also setup web banking so I can pay them directly from my TD CANADA trust account. I don't think a lot of providers have Web banking setup.